Seven years of volunteer facilitating a "healing through storytelling" class at a women's prison awakened me to a narrative of brokenness in our society that I cannot ignore. It also awakened me to the work I feel I was born to do.
In December 2016, I left behind a 20-plus-year editorial career to pursue work inspired by the transformation I've witnessed behind prison walls when women are given the tools and safe space to discover their strengths and personal worth.
My inaugural venture on this newfound professional path was to implement the first and only trauma-specific program at the prison where I've volunteered all these years. Because the prison is not funding the program, I am currently raising money to make it happen. The program launch period will end in January 2018. Also, as of August 1, 2017, I became the part-time executive director of Truth Be Told.
I see this work as my way of showing gratitude for the women who have awakened me to my purpose and given my life meaning beyond measure.
- Executive director, Truth Be Told currently
- Program director, Healing Trauma, Lockhart prison currently
- Volunteer facilitator, Truth Be Told, Lockhart prison currently
- Owner, Katie Ford Editorial LLC
- Editorial director, Texas School Business and INSIGHT, Texas Association of School Administrators
- Special Reports editor, Austin Business Journal
- Associate editor, The White Paper, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Reporter, Uvalde Leader News
- "Beyond Trauma & Healing Trauma," National Covington Curriculum Conference
- "Gendered Justice: Women in Our Justice System," National Covington Curriculum Conference
- "Women Unbarred: Recovery & Support for Involved with Criminal Justice," Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- "The Power of Expressive Arts for Grief," My Healing Place
- "Three Building Blocks of Restorative Justice," Restorative Justice On the Rise, The Peace Alliance
- CreativeMornings, Austin, TX
- Pecha Kucha Night, Austin, TX
- "The Road to Recovery Using the 4 Cs," Adult and Juvenile Female Offenders Conference, Hartford, CT
- "The Road to Recovery Using the 4 Cs," Travis County Sheriff's Office Vision Summit: Looking Toward the Future of Re-entry, Austin, TX
- "The Importance of Sharing Our Stories," Women's Leadership Luncheon, Texas Association of Secondary School Principals
- "Expressive Writing as a Transformative Tool," Texas Association of Secondary School Principals, Austin, TX
- "Healing through Storytelling," Young Women's Alliance